Saturday, December 29, 2012

Keep The Change...

"I will go to Karol Bagh!", said the autowallah. I stood there, surprised, at their capabilities of pissing me off even beyond what I imagined were the limits. The Delhi autowallahs are undoubtedly the official thugs, roaming free in the city, I have always believed. I had simply asked him if he would take me to New Friends Colony from Connaught Place, and am not sure how his 'wanting' to go to Karol Bagh helped my case! I am not sure what contributed more to my frustration; the road-blocks around the city, or these cheats with their three wheelers! I was determined to go home, using their three wheelers only, and without letting them exploit me or my pocket. So, I just hopped on the next one and instructed him to drive me to my destination. He politely told me that he will have to take a detour and that will cost me more than the usual. I ignored.

"Sahab, aaj toh har jagah bandh hai. Ye kaand jo ho gaya hai!", almost shouted the driver. I shrugged in frustration, agreeing to whatever he was saying. I was obviously aware of the kaand that he was talking about. The city has been revolving around this singular event, and despite my non-interest in news, I was updated about the turn of the events. And why not, it has been one of the most gruesome incidents that can occur to the face of mankind. A girl was raped. Gang-raped. I feel ashamed, knowing that this is not the first time that such a thing has happened in this capital city. Such news are so frequent that the word 'rape' doesn't evoke any disgust like it used to, it has become synonymous with other petty crimes like theft or a lost article. And honestly, nothing could be much worse. It is not a petty crime. It is not a word for frequent use. And yet, here I am, sitting in a place where the number of rapes is making a record. I have always loved my city, like really 'love' it, and now, all this makes me almost puke. I detest, if not hate, being a part of such a worthless place.

"Aaj toh us ladki ka maut ho gaya hai na, bauhat gussa hai logan mein", the man was now deep in his thoughts. "Hum nahi jaane denge apni bitiya ko baahar aise sahar mein, bhej rahe hain hum usey wapas apne gaaon", he almost shook my thought process with his loud agony. I felt sad, for his daughter, who I didn't even know for sure, existed. I was awake now, aware of my whereabouts. There were police barricades standing erect, blocking the roads. The place was deserted. This was not the Lutyens Delhi I knew. 

I have not been a keen observer of news, ever. And yet, somehow this one particular news had left an imprint, on my thoughts. I do not know what is, but there is something about this whole event (given that this is not first of such cases), that has left people protesting against I don't know what. At times, I want to quit everything and join them for the fight that is every citizen's 'duty' (at least) to be a participant of. I am a nobody in this population of over 17 million that the city proudly boasts about, but if everyone started feeling that way, the entire 17 million would become a 'nobody', and those protestors are not fighting to end up being that.

I am sure there is nobody out there who wouldn't be sad at the demise of the victim of this inhuman act. "Sahab in haramiyon ko toh public mein maut deni chahiye", and my assumption was verified by the autowallah. 

One day. I was out for one day, and found nobody who was not talking about what was happening around. I feel a bit better. At least I am not living in a world filled with impassive zombies. I don't expect everyone out there to go out and be a part of the protest or raise their voice against the injustice. But, it is satisfactory enough that the Delhi-ites realize that they have something to be ashamed of.


"Chhutta nahi hai humare paas", pleaded the old man. I smiled. I walked away. All of his one sided conversation and my humble nods had made me almost forgot that I was supposed to be shouting at the guy, and abuse them all, generalizing their types. 

No, I didn't need the change back. I am supposed to keep (making) the change!



I could be anybody hiding in the chaos  
It is I who decide!

0 comments:

Post a Comment