Thursday, March 10, 2016

Wait, What?

Somehow, I have had some very interesting conversations with the auto drivers of Delhi. I remember when the auto driver showed concerns over the much talked about rape case in Delhi. I remember when an auto driver, very unabashedly branded the 'modern' women as attention seeking whores. And then, I met this auto driver who very casually branded me as an anti-national. 

When I sat in that auto from Kashmere gate, to go to my place, little did I know what that journey was going to be like. It was around midnight, and I was obviously sleepy and irritated by the 5 hour long bus journey I had just experienced. So, I quietly sat in the auto, and thought about some very important things (things like what I am going to eat, how will I ever finish my thesis, why haven't I watched the latest Suits episode, or when the hell will they air the new season of GoT). Then, suddenly the auto driver started a casual conversation. 

He started with a biased question "What do you study in JNU?". 

I was taken aback, and suddenly it occurred to me - my appearance was very JNU-like, the jhola type sling bag, the unshaven look, the shawl, and dorky glasses. I smiled, realizing what they meant in the news when someone said "They were looking for people who looked like they were from JNU". So, to clear out his doubt, I just said "I don't study in JNU". 

"Oh, so you study in Jamia." he assumed.

I really had no patience to explain to him that I was in Architecture, and at IIT. Since I had asked him to take me to Jamia, I assumed, it was easier for him to make those assumptions. I just simply said "Yes".

"What do you study there?" he asked casually.

"Engineering. Civil", I said, in order to avoid the follow-up questions when I tell someone that I study architecture.

"Oh! Jamia has Engineering also?" he wondered.

I thought Why can't Jamia have Engineering courses? Is it because it's this so-called Muslim institute. Are we supposed to study religion only? Are we not smart enough to be engineers?, but I thought I shouldn't be so judgemental, maybe, he seriously didn't know Jamia had engineering, or Jamia had a college also for that matter, as the area's name is Jamia Nagar, and many people assume it to be just a locality name. So, I said "Yes, it has engineering also. It's pretty good you know", I just added.

"Hmm, so what do you think about what is going on in JNU?" he questioned with a bit of apprehension.

"Umm, well I don't really know. Some student gave a controversial speech I guess. People shouted anti-national slogans. They were booked for sedition" I replied with no interest whatsoever.

"Those bastards. How can they speak against the country, who is paying for their education? Don't they know they are nothing in front of the government?", said the auto driver, with a lot of passion.

I thought 'Really? The country pays for their education? Why the hell am I paying my fees? Why doesn't the country pay my fees too. Damn!', but chose a more reasonable response and told him "You know, it was proved that those videos were doctored, and fake!"

"Fake or not. They must have done something, otherwise why would it become such a big issue?" he said in response.

"Well, I think, studies and politics should not be mixed any how. So, I don't really know if they were fake or real, or whatever, I think this whole thing is gone out of proportion" I said with obvious disinterest.

By now, the auto driver had formed a very serious opinion when he said, "Nothing gives them the right to support a terrorist? Who are they to question the government?"

"I don't think they were supporting any terrorist", I said what I felt.

"Oh, so you think it is okay to speak in favour of a terrorist? You think it is okay to abuse our Prime Minister, for the bastard terrorist? Is this what they teach you at Jamia?" said the driver, with a bit of anger.

I laughed at his last statement. Wow, it is so convenient to form opinions, right?, and I said "Well, I am not sure what Jamia teaches, but now I am clear what stupidity and blind faith teaches you", I faked laughter, and asked him to stop the auto, as I felt more comfortable walking the remaining distance, than getting in a debate with someone having such biased opinions.

No, he didn't call me an anti-national. But then again, I don't think it was needed after he had conveniently assumed that my 'Muslim' institute teaches me anti-national stuff, and because I was a Muslim, I must support terrorism. Honestly, I have never really faced a discrimination or hatred based on my religion ever before, maybe because I don't come across as a typical Muslim. I don't have a long beard, I don't go around shouting that 'my religion is the best', or for that matter dress like a conventional Muslim. But these are just stereotypes I believe. Then again, that ride at late night taught me a lot many things about the current atmosphere in this country, and no, I don't feel unsafe, or threatened or anything, but yes, I do feel that there is a lack of intelligence, and logic, and reason, and well, truth. I am not an expert on either politics or religion. I am not someone with a lot of knowledge, but I do believe that I am qualified enough to speak about such stupidity that has become commonplace in the current scenario. And I refuse to go down and be one of them. I refuse to be judged or biased against, just because I have a difference of opinion. And I certainly don't want to shut my eyes, and believe in everything that media feeds me, or any of those so-called 'leaders' teaches me. I just don't want to.



0 comments:

Post a Comment