Sunday, June 12, 2016

The Perfect Escape

So it is all over. The two years of pure torture. I have been waiting for this end for as long as I remember, and of course what better way to celebrate. This trip is something I had been planning in my head for a long time, and yet it was the most unplanned trip I ever took. But, the perfect one too!

--

It started with an Instagram post. I just fell in love with the place instantaneously. I had never heard about this place called Barot in Himachal Pradesh, but somehow suddenly it was the only place I wanted to be. I needed this break, after all the craziness and mind numbing experiences. So I googled it, and of course, there was not much information about the place. Thanks to the original post on instagram, I did find the whereabouts and ways to get there. After my last experiences of solo travel, I was really looking forward to another such experience, but somehow I still had the same inhibitions as I did last year when I took that solo trip to Goa. I guess, the excitement of a solo trip remains the same, even if you have done it before. I had no plans. All I knew was that I had to get there. In the middle of all this, of course I had friends who wanted to join me, and because their plans didn't resonate with mine, I just decided to go ahead and do it on my own. I was all set to explore this new place, and it was only the next morning that my plans suddenly changed. I saw this another post on instagram, and I just needed to be there. The amazingly beautiful starry night at Bir, Himachal Pradesh was just the motivation I needed. Bir was not a new place to me, I had heard about the place, I had seen images on the internet, and of course it had recently become famous because of the paragliding world cup that they hosted. One of the best part of this new plan was that Bir is only 50 km away from Barot, and so I could easily visit both the places.

To reach Bir, one has to take the 15-16 hours of journey by bus. Till the last minute, I was not sure if I was ready to embark on this journey, and I hadn't booked my tickets knowing that I could change my plans any minute. But I really needed this escape from the maddening heat of Delhi, and moreover I really needed time for myself. So I just went ahead and booked a room in Bir Zostel, which is a backpackers' hostel. My previous experiences with such backpacking hostels were enough to know that this was my best bet. So, now since I had already booked my room, I could not turn my back or change my plans. I reached the bus stand, found out about the bus, and waited... for the amazing experience that awaited me! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment