Saturday, October 09, 2010

One Night @ The Call Center

Oct 1, 2010
11.30 P.M.

The amazement and thrill of a night out with friends is unmatched with anything else in the world, but tonight I was not with the best of my friends whose company I would have liked, but the sheer idea of a night out was amusing! It's been days since I had driven a car after mine was stolen off some years back, so tonight when I got to drive that broken Maruti Zen, I was excited but soon the excitement had died up as the car was in a more pathetic condition than I had assessed. 

My idea of fun is not something many would agree to, for one, it depends on my mood, and two, I don't really care for who I am with! The long drives in a car speeding high with nothing to hinder the motion, has always been my idea of fun at nights, but that rarely happens in a city where the speedier wheels have to compromise on their speed for the slow motioned entities moving on the same road. But, it was different tonight. NH - 8 is a perfect road that adds on to the greed in the driver to drive at higher speeds than he had promised himself. 
And the best part today was, the roads were empty.
Witness the history, for, this won't happen to you again!

Before I had stepped out of my home, I knew for some reason that this night is going to be really long. And the only thing that had made me agree to this night out was the sheer adventure it was going to be! 


Oct 1, 2010
10.00 P.M. 

My cellphone rang up. 
I didn't want to pick it up and talk, I was in no mood. But I had to, because I knew these rings were not going to stop. So, I disconnected the phone and stepped out. He was waiting outside, as I had expected. It's been many days since I was trying to shoo him off but there's rarely something that helps this guy. Freshly out of a scene from a Bollywood movie, this species believed in all the larger than life situations, something I would puke on.

So, the only purpose of going out with him tonight was the idea of finishing it up all tonight. I knew I wouldn't be able to take it any more, so I just had to end things up.

And as I thought of what was going to happen tonight, it looked exactly like a take from a Bollywood movie, which one I don't know but they've made many such and many more will follow. 

A guy doing theatrical attempts to commit suicide, threatening the girl he loves, trying to make her guilty conscious. And forcing her, if the attempts go futile. 

This scene was going to be repeated once more tonight. What am I doing in this? I thought. So, I moved ahead, for, I knew what was I doing in it.

  
 Oct 2, 2010
12 Midnight

The lives in call centers had always amused me, for, how can someone spend so much time on the calls with random people, trying to please each one of them. And tonight, I was going to see this life from close. 

Her cab stopped in front of the glass cube that stood tall ahead of me. It was a white Toyota Innova and this didn't make it unique, because there were million of similar cars around the complex. 

She had no idea about what we were doing in front of her newly joined office, and there was no way for her to find out what was going to happen to her. But, one thing she knew for sure, had she tried to escape from us, she'd have to pay for it. So, she obediently followed us to the car where her dramatic ex boyfriend was lying on the backseat. We pushed her inside and she obeyed.

The boyfriend who had apparently attempted suicide had his left hand plastered and the right one paralyzed, supposedly. What bullshit? My brain triggered, Who on Earth gets paralysis after having the phenyl tablets? I felt funny.

The boyfriend and the kidnapped girl were lying on the backseat while I took on the driver's seat and the other useless fellow companion sat next to me. The fake suicidal boyfriend had told us what we had to act like and what were our dialogs, but since my mood was not so cheered up, I uttered no word. Thank God! I'm so moody, I smiled silently.

The random shit went on between the two lovers sitting behind me, and I was losing my nerve as I felt unwanted in the shitty scene that was in progress. I wanted to run away but I could not, not because I cared for my "actor" friend playing the ex boyfriend, but because I had no money to take a taxi back home. (-;  

I had the steering wheel in my hands, the keys were in, the ignition was on, the mood was off... what stopped me from accelerating and running away? Well, the people that were there with me in the same car.


Oct 2, 2010
1.10 A.M. 

How much you hate yourself when you regret saying 'yes' to someone! In fact, not being able to say 'no' to anyone. 

I wanted to kill the dude and run away. But, I had no plans to drive the broken car back home. So, I kept my cool.

So, now the girl was in, the jerk was in his full act, the only thing left to be done was to take the car and speed away back home. But, the girl trapped the jerk in her acts and the jerk was hesitating in executing his own plans, kidnapping the girl. God! Why the hell did I even come? I regretted for the nth time.

I had heard enough of the drama going at the back, and I could take it no more, so, I started the car and accelerated it towards the exit. The jerk and the girl started to feel scared, but I was not, and I had stopped listening to them long back.

I sped towards the road, when the paralyzed hand of the jerk had started working all of a sudden and tapped my shoulder to slow down to 30-40 kph. But, he couldn't measure how pissed off I was. 


Oct 2, 2010
2.45 A.M. 

It had been almost 5 hours since I had committed the mistake of coming out with this loser. And, I was left with no choice but to wait till his movie ends. 

We were halfway home when the jerk fell for the girl's trap that had her tears and sobs asking him to take her back to her office, promising she'd be back. The night is ruined, I was alarmed. The jerk then begged me to take the car back to where we started, the concrete glass jungle of the call center complex. What could I do! I took a U-turn and brought the jerks back.

The girl sobbed a little more, the jerk threatened and acted her a little more, they both stepped out and went inside the joined pieces of the broken glass structure. 


Oct 2, 2010
3.15 A.M.

The time was proving me right. The girl was not coming back. I felt like kicking the jerk's ass, who had forced me in this drama. So I did.

So, now that it was final that my night was totally fucked up, I tried to relax myself sitting in the only green space in that otherwise glassy jungle. The surroundings seemed like I was in a different world altogether. There were people all around, yet everything was alien to me. The life at a call center was dull, dead and monotonous, for, each and every soul that came out of that glass was lifeless, sipping in a cup of tea, taking a drag or two from the cigarettes, and then back to where they belonged.

The little transparency that the glass facade of the building offered let me step in the lives of these people. There were people sitting on their desks, with the bulky instrument over their heads, speaking in the weird looking mouthpiece, staring at their computer screen and yet, sitting lifeless. There was a constant activity on the floor area, people moving in and out, here and there, doing nothing, or doing something that looked 'nothing' to me.

The scene outside echoed almost the same, there was one major similarity between the two parallel worlds of inside and out; there was no life in either of these worlds.


Oct 2,2010
5.00 A.M.

So now that I had ruined and spent my night inside a shabby car, the morning light that was gradually enveloping the sky didn't much altered my thoughts. I was lying there playing dumb and numb. 

The jerk had set his eyes constant on the 3rd floor of the cube, where his girl had entered hours back, promising him she'd be back. Here he was, saying all the crappy things he could, making all the false claims of ruining up her life, etc. I didn't have to do much to ignore whatever he said, I was naturally pissed off.


Oct 2, 2010
11.00 A.M.

When you know it's time to pick and choose your 'friends' out of all the people that surround you, all you need is one night.

I had decided for myself that I was never going to help this jerk in the future, now that after waiting the whole night outside that call center, he was making me wait outside the girl's house. 

Now that my night was already flushed and fucked, I had to save the day that was coming ahead. So, I shut off everything that had stopped me till now from leaving this jerk, and took a step back. It was time to say 'no' to something, to tell the jerk what I felt now, to kill any sympathy whatsoever I had for him. 

I threw the jerk inside the car, and rushed back home. The girl may rot in hell, for all I care.


Oct 2, 2010
9.30 A.M.

The girl who the jerk had waited for all night, was finally in front of him, but the iron gate between them barred him to go near her. The girl was smiling, and the jerk was frustrated. Then suddenly with a blink of an eye, she disappeared in the crowd that was rushing towards their cabs that'd take them back home, a place where there was a little more life.

The jerk tried all his assumptions of what might have happened to her, of what will happen to her and of where she vanished.

But, there was one thing he had forgotten; he was a jerk, afterall.

So, after wasting one whole night and half a morning, I finally was cheered up as it was time to go back home. But, the jerk had other plans.


Oct 2, 2010
10.15 A.M.  

The car was parked outside the girl's hostel, waiting for the white cab to come and drop her, which I knew wouldn't ever happen. 
 

Oct 2, 2010
11.30 A.M.

The car was back home, parked neatly opposite the infamous Children's park of our colony. The jerk stepped and I shut the door on his face. I needed no explanations, no answers, no questions, and no progress.

Let the jerk be what he is, I thought to myself and stepped towards my home, leaving the drama and the theatrics behind me.

There were two things I had learned that night.
One. Learning to say 'no' is one thing I badly needed.
Two. Life in a call center sucks. I'm better off.

0 comments:

Post a Comment